Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Kanye West - Yeezus (Official Review) [Track by Track Analysis]

Kanye has taken his talents to a place way further than anyone else's talents can reach with his latest album Yeezus. He has built a really solid team of producers & engineers, ending in a near perfect product in my opinion. Kanye does this music thing for the art of it, and that seems to be the message interpreted from the LP. Yeezus offers many sounds from all over the world, and many different types of songs, only adding to Kanye West's illustrious career in his field of dominance. The production on every song is stellar, with every single song having more than two parts to the instrumental. Kanye's content is as vulgar as ever, and his rhyming abilities are endless. Down below, we have a small recap of each track off the LP, and a final rating for the album.

01. On Sight [prod. Daft Punk]
A monster about to come alive again /Soon as I pull up and park the Benz /We get this bitch shaking like Parkinsons /Take my number and lock it in/ Indian hair, no moccasins /It's too many hoes in this house of sin
The intro to Kanye's album really sets the tone for the LP, and the new sound he seems to be going for. Daft Punk did a decent job with their production, and Kanye delivers his average amount of raunchy and witty material on the track, making this a worthy introduction to Yeezy's sixth LP.

02. Black Skinhead [prod. Daft Punk, Travi$ Scott (co.), Mike Dean (add.)]
Four in the morning, and I'm zoning/ They say I'm possessed, it's an omen I keep it 300, like the Romans 300 bitches, where's the Trojans?
"Black Skinhead" is the most rock-themed track on the album. Kanye attempts a shot at a new lane/sound, and achieves greatness. The track is extremely well produced, and the content is revolting, yet very appealing. This could be the favorite track on the album for rock-based Kanye fans, and it still pertains to any listener's guidelines to Good Music, no pun intended. The beat sounds very similar to Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People", which is dope if that is the root of where the instrumental came from, and the engineering on the track is absolutely stellar.  He premiered this track first on SNL, and it is everything that I thought it would be.

03. I Am A God (feat. Justin Vernon) [prod. Daft Punk, Hudson Mohawke (co.), Kanye West (co.), Travi$ Scott (co.), Mike Dean (add.), Rick Rubin (add.)]
I am a God/ So hurry up with my damn massage/ In a French-ass restaurant/ Hurry up with my damn croissants
"I Am A God" is exactly what the title says. Kanye lets his fans and listeners know that he is a god-like human in his own eyes. He is a religious person, and he is not literally saying that he is the lord, but rather that he is a God among humans.  The song truly depicts what Kanye West is about, and that is, that he is, one cocky son of a gun. The production on this is stupendous as well, and the overall direction of the track achieves greatness.

04. New Slaves (feat. Frank Ocean) [prod. Daft Punk, Travi$ Scott (co.), Hudson Mohawke (co.), Mike Dean (co.), Kanye West (add.)]
They throwing hate at me, want me to stay at ease/ F*ck you and your corporation, y'all n*ggas can't control me/ I know that we the new slaves, I know that we the new slaves/ I'm 'bout to wild the f*ck out, I'm going Bobby Boucher
"New Slaves" was the song that Kanye premiered across the world on 66 buildings at 66 different locations. When first premiered, the song did not include the Frank Ocean humming at the end, which makes the song even better than it originally sounded. The structure of the track is amazing, and literally is one of the best transitions I have heard in a song. The song goes from being a rugged, drum based beat, to a soft-sung melody. Only Kanye can pull something like this off, and deliver some incredible music in the process.

05. Hold My Liquor (feat. Chief Keef & Justin Vernon) [prod. Young Chop, Mike Dean (co.), Arca (add.), Rick Rubin (add.)]
Pussy had me floating/ Feel like Deepak Chopra/ Pussy had me dead/ Might call 2Pac over/ Yeezy's all on you sofa/ These the red Octobers/ Still ain't learn me no manners/ You love me when I ain't sober
"Hold My Liquor" is the only song on the album that I can not say achieved greatness. Though the production was of course phenomenal on the song, the obvious Kanye written hook for Chief Keef was delivered very poorly, and engineered miserably. Chief Keef and auto tune should never mix. The song's overall aura reminds me of Kanye's "Stronger" single from several years back. The topic and subject are indubitably different from "Hold My Liquor" but the feel is similar to his Graduation track. The track is still dope, but it is the only song on the album I would not consider to be great.

06. I’m In It (feat. Justin Vernon) [prod. RZA, Travi$ Scott (add.), Mike Dean (add.)]
Uh, black girl sippin' white wine/ Put my fist in her like a civil rights sign/ And grabbed it with a slight grind/ And held it 'til the right time/ Then she came like AAAAAHHH!
"I'm In It" will definitely be considered a lot of listeners favorite songs. The concept on this track reminds me of "Hell Of A Life", off of his last album. Just a Kanye sexual suggestive track, that can be played in any type of popping environment. The track's beat is very enthralling, and the breakdown in the middle is astonishing. RZA had a hand in this one though, so that fact alone should convince anybody that the track is ill. I honestly believe that there can't be a hip-hop or overall music fan that can not appreciate this song.

07. Blood On The Leaves (feat. Tony Williams) [prod. TNGHT, Kanye West (co.), Mike Dean (add.)]
To all my second string bitches, trying to get a baby/ Trying to get a baby, now you talkin' crazy I don't give a damn if you used to talk to Jay-Z/ He ain't with you, he with Beyoncé, you need to stop actin' lazy
"Blood On The Leaves" is my favorite track on the album, and one of the best structured songs, ever. The structure of the beat and song are impeccably extravagant. Kanye really did it with this record, and I must say, as a fan of music in general, this song really gives me hope for future music to come. Ye' really set the bar that high with this one. The sample is great, and this is one of the few records on Yeezus that Yeezy co-produced. The story in this song is very vivid, and Kanye really exposes his true pain in this song about whoever he is talking about. If it had to be compared to another one of his songs, I'd say this is "Love Lockdown" and "See You In My Nightmares" combined together and on steroids.

08. Guilt Trip (feat. Kid Cudi) [prod. Symbolyc One, Arca (co.), Travi$ Scott (co.), Mike Dean (co.), Ackeejuice Rockers (co.)]
Feelin' lied to like parents never said you adopted/ Your feelings like Zulu, then nothing is a Shaka/ I hit her with Jamaican dick, I'm the new Shabba/ She lookin' for her daddy, call me Big Poppa
"Guilt Trip" seems like an 808's & Heartbreaks track that wasn't finished until Yeezus was ready. CuDi does his thing on the track, as he always does. The production on this one is excellent. They sampled Pusha's "Blocka", and it sounds great. Overall another impeccable track with great structure.

09. Send It Up (feat. King L & Iamsu) [prod. Gesaffelstein, Arca (co.), Daft Punk (co.), Hudson Mohawke (add.)]
This the greatest shit in the club/ Since "In Da Club"/ It's so packed I might ride around/ On my bodyguard's back like Prince in the club/ She say "Can you get my friends in the club?"/ I say "Can you get my Benz in the club?"/ If not, treat your friends like my Benz/ Park they ass outside 'til the evening end
Track nine on the album "Send It Up" has the coolest sounding beat that can be played in any type of party environment. King L does his thing, and gives Kanye a great verse. The best part of the song is that Kanye never really had a song like this one. It is hard to find any flaws in the track, or beat, and the transitions in the song are marvelous. Props to Yeezy on this one.

10. Bound II (feat. Charlie Wilson) [prod. Kanye West, No I.D., Symbolyc One (co.) The Heatmakerz (co.), Rick Rubin (add.)]
Leave a pretty girl sad reputation/ Start a Fight Club, Brad reputation/ I turnt the nightclub out of the basement/ I'll turn the plane 'round, your ass keep complaining
"Bound" is Kanye being Kanye, It is definitely the closest track on the album to that vintage Kanye West sound from 2005, with a dope sample, comical lyrics, and no effects over His voice. The track is pretty much a sequel to "Devil In A New Dress" without actually being a sequel. It is pretty much the same concept as the MBDTF song. Charlie Wilson gave Kanye a great bridge at the end, to finish the album off with a bang.

Overall Grade: 9.5/10
Reasoning: Kanye did it again, only this time he creates multiple sounds, and gives listeners great music to relate to. He is in the music game for the art of it, and this album really solidifies his new focus.

Previous: Kanye West - Yeezus (Album)

Lyrics Courtesy of RapGenius

0 Comments: