Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Kendrick Lamar Talks Aaron Affalo, The Lakers & Basketball

Kendrick Lamar talked to L.A. Weekly about basketball, The Lakers, being a fan, Kobe Bryant, & more. Read some excerpts below.
When Phil Jackson Tweeted at you, did you sit back and think, 'I've finally arrived?"
The crazy part is, I didn't think it would go that far to where people were dissing me and Phil Jackson would respond. I caught wind of it late when I was overseas. I still need to Tweet Phil Jackson back though. Matter of fact, I'm going to try to remember to do that tonight.

Did Aaron Affalo ever hit you up after the song 'Black Boy Fly?'
Yup. He said, 'appreciate it, man' and that he really respected it.
Was Kobe always your favorite player on the Lakers?
Definitely. My pops was from Chicago so he was a huge Bulls fan. So growing up, I was always battling my pops, but I was always a big Bulls fan too. I was a diehard. You follow your pops. You wanna' be just like him and so I rooted for the bulls. But at the same time, I was from L.A. so I had to like the Lakers. And then Kobe came and it was a wrap.
Did you ever go any games growing up?
Nah. It felt like we had to be rich to go the games. There was only one time that I got into a game. I was a little kid, around the time Kobe first came out with his shoes. My cousin and I were selling Tootsie Rolls outside of the Forum. One day, one of the ushers was generous enough to let us into the game with two minutes left in the fourth quarter - and so that was the first time I ever got to see Kobe play in first.
Did you ever play yourself?
I played recreation ball.
How were you as a player?
I was pretty cool. I'm still pretty decent. I don't know how I'd be if I got out there tomorrow though. There's a lot of cats who can hoop. R Kelly. Chris Brown. Game. Brian McKnight. When I was a kid, I used to watch the old Rock and Jock B-Ball Jam and think, 'man, I can't wait until I can get up there and ball in that shit. '
Read the full article here.

Previous: Rick Ross & Kendrick Lamar Perform at Marquee Super Bowl Weekend Event In NYC (Video)

L.A. W

0 Comments: